Be Thankful

     Today was just one of those days.  A day where you're frustrated and tired and everything just seems to go wrong.  I could feel sorry for myself, be sad, and complain. Or I could realize how lucky I am to have this day.  A day with my family, a day with my sweet first graders and day with friends I love.  I was reminded of this after reading a friend's blog.  This friend buried her husband yesterday.  She has every right to be upset, sad and angry.  She could easily lock herself in her home and cry, and no one would think poorly of her. But instead, she is celebrating life.  She is enjoying her kids, helping others and thanking everyone for their support.  She is moving on and thanking God for the time she and her husband were given.  She isn't questioning why? She has faith that this is God's plan.  I don't know if she realizes how her faith has inspired me.  Does she know her perseverance and positivity have changed my thinking and brightened my not so sunny day?  I think God puts people in your life to help change you and mold you into the person you are suppose to be.  Some of these people are positive and some are there to challenge you. You have to learn from both.  I feel blessed to have this day to learn this lesson.  
      Another sweet friend I've made along this life journey, reminded me just this week, how important it is to show my gratitude.  How imperative it is to teach my children to give and expect nothing in return.  So this December, my family will pay it forward. We'll be performing a random act of kindness each day in December leading up to Christmas.  I've explained this to Drew and he's very excited.  It's led to all sort of discussion about Jesus, Heaven and the true meaning of Christmas.  He's so stinking cute! His little head is spinning with ideas of things we can do for others and it makes this mama's heart happy! I'm still compiling a list of things we can do, but here is our start:

Day One: Donate food/supplies to a food pantry or boxes at Kroger.

Day Two: Surprise Drew's Teachers with a special treat.

Day Three: Pay for the car behind us in line when we grab lunch.  

Day Four: Take coloring books and other toys to Children's hospital.

Day Five:  Buy a treat {Hot Chocolate and a muffin} for a Salvation Army bell ringer.

Day Six: Take our neighbors treats

Day Seven: Deliver poinsettias, treats and cards to Seniors at a nearby Assisted Living Center.

Day Eight: Leave a "Christmas Tip" to a server at dinner

Day Nine:  Put a treat in our mailbox for our postal worker.

Day Ten:  Deliver treats and cards to our local fire and police.

Day Eleven: Adopt a family at church

Day Twelve: Clean out our toys and donate to kids in need.


I'm very excited to make this a tradition for my family.

Be thankful, be faithful and show kindness.  
Love, 
The Oakes








No comments